Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Faith Like Potatoes

This weekend was our 23rd wedding anniversary. Because of the adoption expenses, we decided to do a very low cost anniversary. To say that it was perfect would be an understatement. I became so overwhelmed by God's mercy and grace to us as a couple. Who would have thought fifteen years ago when we were on the road to divorce that God would move as He has? I cried most of the day in the complete awareness of God's amazing grace poured out on us. I kept telling Doug that this was my gift, just a total awareness of God's unmerited favor!!

So this is how our day started. It ended by watching a movie called "Faith Like Potatoes". I would highly recommend it. Here is what Christianity Today had to say about it: Here's the thing about potatoes. You plant them, and cover them with dirt, then pray like mad for rain. With most crops, you can see what you're going to eat—the fruit of your labors, so to speak. But potatoes incubate in the ground, silent and mostly unseen, while you hope for harvest. Only a farmer-turned-evangelist would know how apt a metaphor potatoes are for a life of faith in Christ Jesus, making Faith Like Potatoes the perfect title for a biopic based on the true story of Angus Buchan.

Angus tells his wife that he is to be foolish for Christ and every seemingly crazy choice he makes yields a miracle pointing back to the glory of God. Ever since we started this journey, I have told God that we need another BIG story. You see our marriage is a big story that points only to God's glory. Our adoption of Faith is a big story that only points to God's glory. God has not allowed us to take any credit for any of it and I would not have it any other way. I want His glory to shine through all of this in hopes of leading others to Him. I want Him to be the only way that this can happen. I want people to scratch their heads as they hear our story and come away with the only answer. GOD!!

You see though that this is where the problem comes in. I try to take things into my own hands and make it happen. I try to figure out how God is going to bring us the money. Kind of funny isn't it when all the money is his anyways. I always think that I have it figured out. This week we heard about a possible job in which Doug could make about $1500. I had that money spent in my mind before even knowing all of the details. I felt the Lord whisper to me, "What if this isn't how I am going to provide?". I struggled with that. It seems like the perfect answer to me. One of the things about Angus in the beginning of the movie is that in he didn't believe in anything but the toil of his own hands. As I have reflected on the movie, I have become completely aware of my tendency to do the same thing. Doug called me yesterday with Proverbs 3:5 In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight. I listened but in my heart thought it was just a spiritual band-aid being slapped on my heart. I mean everyone even most unbelievers have heard this verse. This morning though in the quiet, the Lord began to expose that this verse was not just a band aid but the very word of God. So once again I have repented and filled my mind and my heart with the truth. I still want the BIG story and believe that it is going to happen but now I am leaving the details up to the One who wrote this story of our lives before time began!! Well, at least at this very moment I am. Check back later and who knows:) By the way, we planted our "potatoes" this weekend. We mailed a check to our home study agency that was rather substantial and then another large check to USCIS to begin the paperwork to bring our boy home. Please continue to pray for us. We have to now have $2150 to send to our placing agency. This I what I know. We have been called to be fools for Christ, so HE will provide.

I will end with this verse:

You will keep in perfect peace
him whose mind is steadfast,
because he trusts in you.
Isaiah 25:3

1 comment:

  1. I am right there with you on a journey of faith! I don't know about you, but for me it seems that the more impossible something is, the easier it is for me to give it all to God. But then once it becomes more obtainable, I slowly begin to take back control bit by bit. Or, when I come to a place of freedom and surrender in one area of my life, I begin to struggle with control in other areas of my life. This has been on my mind a lot over the past couple of days...
    Thank you for sharing so openly about your journey. =)
    - Elya

    ReplyDelete