Thursday, September 17, 2009

From a journal entry

Came across a journal entry of mine from January 2008 that I thought I would share. God was just beginning to stir things in my heart at that point, having just left the church we called home to destinations unknown. Here is just a taste:

...What is it, as I look to the days/weeks/months ahead, that I dream about, yearn for, have an insatiable appetite for? When I ponder "church", what is it that the Spirit in me desires? What is it that God desires for the lives of His children, His body, His bride? What would that look like.....?

....To be part of a community, a fellowship, a movement of people whose common ground is hearts set ablaze by Jesus Christ. To walk with people who have received new hearts and minds by rebirth through the Holy Spirit that lives/dwells/resides within them. To live in the authentic reality of the power of God to transform a person, a family, a community, a whole region! To be a people who are not simply hearers of the word of life, but doers of it. To hear and see the proclamation and demonstration of the gospel message that releases God's power into the lives of the saved and unsaved. To be a people known to be disciples of Jesus, followers of "the way" being equipped for works of service, maturing, so that in unity we may all grow in the fullness of Jesus Christ....

And so the quest continues. My hope and comfort come from the fact that God is infinitely more committed to what His church will look like than I will ever be. God, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

1 comment:

  1. "My hope and comfort come from the fact that God is infinitely more committed to what His church will look like than I will ever be."
    Good stuff Doug.

    ReplyDelete