Sunday, February 28, 2010

1st Posting of Travel Plans

I thought that while I am waiting to travel I would take some time to update you on what we plan to do while in Ethiopia. When we first began this journey we came across a ministry called Drawn from Water. This is a ministry that is working to rescue mingi(cursed) children from culturally mandated infanticide. We have loved hearing what God is doing in through the families that are committed to this purpose. We began supporting them financially and now have the opportunity to share a meal with Levi and his family when we are picking up Noah. I sent an email to Levi asking if there was anything that they needed us to bring with us that would bless them. He explained that since they have grown by another ten children, they have a need for clothing and shoes. I then sent back and asked if there was anything that would bless him and his wife. I was hoping that he would give me an idea of something for them. I have a great desire to honor these two for the sacrifices that they have made for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They are walking out what they believe and that is provoking! So he once again sends back an answer to my question and again the answer is concerning his children. You see they are unable to get ranch dressing in Ethiopia. He wondered if I would bring packets of the dry ranch dressing to mix with mayo for his children. I was undo upon reading the email. I am daily confronted with my selfishness. I daily struggle with dying to myself just to care for the ones right here in my home let alone anyone outside these walls. I began this adoption journey desiring to be more like Christ. I am so grateful for God's mercy and grace that makes that a reality. So as we spend time with Levi and his family, I do hope that we are able to bless them. I also hope that through this visit I am able to come back to the states and reflect more of Christ to those around me. Please read their story and prayerfully consider committing financially to what they are doing for these children. They need 76 people to commit to $25 a month to cover their monthly expenses. As of now I think they still need 31 more people to commit. I can't wait to share more with you when we get home!

2 comments:

  1. Monica,

    I have heard of this ministry and went to the site directed by your post. It says that it is password protected do you have the password? Is this ministry in Ethiopia? Or is Levi just going to be in the Addis area? Anyway, thank you for posting about this exceptional ministry, I am anxious to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally had a chance to read about their ministry...WOW...can't wait to hear about it after you guys return home!

    ReplyDelete